United Airlines Rock ‘N’ Roll Washington DC Marathon & Half Marathon
As February draws to a close, isn’t it about time for you to get your run on? With the weather slowly marching towards spring, race season is right around the corner. And here at StorQuest Self Storage in Arlington, VA, one of our favorite races is the United Airlines Rock ‘N’ Roll Washington DC Marathon. This year’s race is slated for March 11, 2017 and will support St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital. Choose from 5k, half marathon, and full marathon distances.
What makes the Rock ‘N’ Roll Washington DC Marathon better than other local races? Here are a few reasons.
Why Run Rock ‘N’ Roll?
From the moment you line up, you will be surrounded by history. The race starts on Constitution Avenue, directly in front of the Smithsonian and National Mall. As you run, you will pass the Lincoln Memorial, while also weaving your way through the Capitol Hill Historic District. Enjoy views of the always beautiful Potomac before triumphantly crossing the finish line.
It wouldn’t be a Rock ‘N’ Roll Marathon without live, local music, right? Reunite with your friends and family, snap a selfie or two, and then grab that well-deserved Michelob Ultra to sip on while rocking out at the Finish Line Festival. In addition to cool brews, racers are also welcome to munch on finish-line snacks and treats.
Every participant in the Rock ‘N’ Roll Washington DC Marathon will receive a technical race t-shirt, regardless of the distance raced. 5K rockers will be treated to monumental blue shirts, while half and full marathoners get black. As a bonus gift, full marathon racers also receive an exclusive finisher jacket. Top it all off with a 2017 finisher medal and you’ll be looking good!
Tips to Stay Fresh for Race Day
Whether you’re a seasoned runner or prepping for your first marathon, it is important to be adequately prepared. Here are a few tips to keep your legs fresh, mind clear, and body healthy prior to race day:
- Wear in your shoes – This is a no brainer to experienced runners, but those who are newer to the sport may not know the pain that is associated with breaking in a new pair of runners. Even if you’re tempted with a great deal, don’t buy new shoes before running a marathon. Your heels will thank you.
- Taper your training – Start tapering your training distances one to two weeks prior to race day. That doesn’t mean stop altogether, but it is important to limit the number of miles you put in. We recommend limiting yourself to 40% of your peak weekly mileage.
- Stick to foods you know – While a lot of runners advocate carb-loading prior to any long distance run, we know that what is most important is eating food you know fuels your body and is unlikely to disrupt your systems. As you undoubtedly know (or even worse, have experienced firsthand), running stimulates your digestive system. The last thing you want is to be uncomfortable on race day.
- Avoid cotton tees – Cotton is great for a lot of things – long distance running is not one of them. Because no one likes chafing. Instead, wear a technical shirt designed specifically for running; one that won’t irritate your skin.
- Relax – Worried about your race? Don’t be. Running should be fun. So lace up, relax, and then run like the wind.
Make Room for Awesome
Running a marathon can be stressful. Self storage doesn’t have to be. At StorQuest, we are bikers, hikers, mountain-peak conquerors and certainly know a thing or two about Rock N’ Roll. We know there is much more to life than work or storage – like running marathons and then catching a show. Let us help you make more room for awesome.