A downtown filled with tree-lined streets. A classic mix of history, and urban sophistication. Great shopping and dining. Littleton, Colorado is a fusion of the past and present, and offers the ideal small-town winter experience. With all of the conveniences of the big-city life nearby in Denver, and hometown establishments that know you by name, we’ve found the recipe for the perfect winter’s day in Littleton, Colorado.
There’s nothing better than a freshly brewed coffee or piping hot chocolate beverage on a cold winter’s morning in Colorado. In Littleton, you’ll find a little slice of coffee shop heaven. Begin your day at Spur Coffee, a modern café offering sustainable roasts, or check out Romancing the Bean, offering a hometown feel and perfect for a cup of Joe and a delicious breakfast burrito.
A winter day in Littleton would not be complete without a trip to one of the many breweries in town. Breckenridge Brewery Farmhouse, located alongside the Platte River and bike trail, makes it easy to grab a farmhouse bite and enjoy the views with a tasty brew in hand. Or get cozy in the tasting room at Saint Patrick’s Brewing Company, where you can lounge by one of two fireplaces with one of their award-winning ales, lagers, or hybrids. Would you rather brave the cold outside? They’ve got fire pits throughout the beer garden to keep you warm.
Snow, Snow, Snow
Littleton’s prime location within the great state of Colorado allows easy access to city life in Denver with two light rail stations that get you to the city, or exploring the Rockies, within 30 minutes. If you like playing in the snow, you’re in luck. There are plenty of winter recreation activities to keep you and the family entertained all season long.
- Skiing or Snowboarding: Denver is the gateway to some of the best skiing in the US, but many of the popular resorts are actually quite far from the city. Echo Mountain, Loveland Ski Resort, and Eldora Mountain, are all within reach, just 90 minutes out of town.
- Snowmobile Tours: Adventure off into the heart of Colorado’s Rocky Mountain backcountry via snowmobile. This exhilarating activity will have you exploring unchartered, never-before-seen Colorado territory. Check out Snowmobile Denver for private and group tours.
- Horse-Drawn Sleigh Ride: Transport back in time and forget the hustle and bustle of the winter season with a calming sleigh ride.
- Snow Tubing: A bit more of a trek but worth the trip, Frisco Adventure Park, located in Frisco, CO, is about an hour and a half from Littleton and is home to the best snow tubing hill in the state. The 1,200 foot long ride down is surrounded by Frisco’s natural beauty, and you can stop by the lodge afterwards for an après sled hot cocoa.
- Snowshoeing: Snowshoeing is the perfect outdoor activity for those looking to get in a little exercise, but easy enough for all levels to try. Sprague Lake, Bear Lake Loop, Hidden Valley, Mud Lake, and Echo Lake Park – all near Denver – are excellent hiking trails to bust out and test those snowshoes of yours.
Indoor Activities for All
If you’re not feeling the cold, there are plenty of indoor winter activities to choose from. Colorado has some of the best museums around, perfect for any age. Littleton Historical Museum is situated on 14 acres next to Ketring Lake. When you step through the gates, it’s as if you’ve stepped back in time, recreating life on an 1860’s farm and homestead. And in Denver, there are almost too many museums to count – but the list is well-worth combing through to plan a day visit.
While this next suggestion is actually outdoors – you can dress appropriately and get your heart rate up to keep you warm. The Downtown Denver Rink at Skyline Park is the quintessential winter activity. Get your skates on, and if you don’t own any, rent them there. And the “icing” on the cake? It’s free to skate!
Plan Your Day
Now that we’ve given you an array of winter activities to choose from in or around Littleton, Colorado, get to planning! Embrace winter while it is still here, and bring some winter adventure to each day. When you need to store your winter gear, call on StorQuest Self Storage – Littleton, who can guide you on the path to stress-free storage.