Peace of mind can be hard to come by, especially if you’re busy taking care of other things every day. That’s why it is so important to practice self-care. At StorQuest Self Storage, we dream, plan, create and invent on the regular, and we’d like to share our passions and unique interpretations of what ‘awesome self-care’ can consist of.
- Create Something – Free your mind and flex your creative muscles at the same time. Do you like to draw? Paint? Sculpt? Creative self-care is more than a form of expression. It helps to feed your soul and can even help reduce stress and anxiety.
- Dance – You’ve heard the expression “Dance like nobody’s watching,” right? Really, you should do that. It’s scientifically proven that dancing is good for you. In addition to being a great form of exercise, it also makes you smarter, can help battle depression, and can boost your self-confidence.
- Disconnect – If you’ve spent any time on Pinterest, then you’ve probably seen at least one iteration of the phrase, “There is no WiFi in the forest but you will find a better connection.” While you don’t need to go all the way to the forest to disconnect—although hiking is also a great way to practice self-care— you can simply turn off your phone for an hour or two to find the same peace.
- Do Something New – There are a lot of us who like our daily routines, but that doesn’t mean we want to do the same thing every single day. If you find yourself in a rut, one of the easiest ways to pull yourself out is to do something new. Challenge yourself to learn a different language. Pick-up a new hobby, like kayaking or playing the piano. Whatever it is that interests you, go for it!
- Go for a Run – It’s fair to say that by this point, most everyone knows that the benefits of exercise extend beyond physical. Aerobic activities like running, biking, and swimming aid in the release of “feel good” neurochemicals that help your psychological and emotional wellbeing.
- Laugh – Are you ready for another cliché? Yes? Good. Because laughter is the best medicine. Have you ever found yourself in a stressful or tense situation and just started giggling? There’s a reason for that. When you laugh, you relax. That’s because of a physiological response to the muscles that contract when you laugh. It increases blood flow and oxygenation that stimulate the heart and lungs and releases endorphins.
- Meditate – The benefits of meditation are vast. From increased happiness to improved self-acceptance, meditation is one of the simplest, most effective ways to practice self-care. If you’re new to meditation, here is an easy guide to getting started.
- Organize the Space Around You – No one likes to be surrounded by mess. It’s not just annoying, it’s also stressful. Clean up your house to clear out your mind.
- Spend Time Outside – Have you been spending a lot of time sitting at your desk lately? Or staring out your window watching the rain? Spending time outside is another way you can practice self-care. According to Harvard Medical School, getting outside will raise your vitamin D levels, you’ll get more exercise, concentrate better, and ultimately be happier.
- Treat Yo’ Self – Sometimes the best thing you can do for yourself is to treat yourself. And no, you don’t have to spend money to do that. Did someone say bubble bath and a good read? Do it now.
Now that you know more about self-care it’s time to get started living a better life. We are StorQuest, and we’re always here to help you make room in your life for awesome.